Two deaths confirmed A (H1N1) positive
KUCHING: Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr George Chan said the number of Influenza A (H1N1) deaths in the state now stands at three after two suspected cases last week have been confirmed H1N1-positive.
He said the two suspected H1N1-related deaths were recorded at the Sarawak General Hospital last Thursday.
“The confirmed deaths involve a 26-year-old pregnant woman from Sri Aman, and a 48-year-old asthmatic man from Kuching,” he said when contacted yesterday.
Samples from the deceased were sent for tests to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, and were supposed to be made known at 10am last Friday at 10am, but were only known yesterday.
Sarawak recorded its first H1N1 death when a 23-year old woman died in Miri Hospital on Aug 3. At the moment, H1N1 tests are carried out at Institute of Medical Research in Sungai Buluh, Selangor and more recently, in Kota Kinabalu.
Read more at Borneo Post Online
Flu fatalities climb to 32
PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia reported six more deaths related to Influenza A (H1N1), bringing the total number of fatalities to 32.
Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Ismail Merican said there was one death on Sunday while two people succumbed to the disease last Wednesday. Three patients died on Saturday.
It was only now confirmed that the five had died of A (H1N1) following post-mortem, he said, adding that the deaths were officially reported to health authorities on Sunday.
“Four of the victims had underlying risk factors,” he said. “In the last 24 hours, 203 new cases were reported, of which 15 were treated in Intensive Care Unit and 67 patients are in the isolation wards,” he said yesterday.
Read more at STAR Online