Sarawak State Legislative Assembly is the oldest august institution in Malaysia.
The first General Council was headed by Tuan Muda (later Rajah) Charles Brooke on 8 Sept 1867 in Bintulu comprised local community leaders.
The following year it was held at Fort Brooke in Sibu. Then in Oct 1870 it was held at Astana, Kuching.
In 1903, General Council was renamed Council Negeri and from 22 July 1918, the Council Negeri meetings were held at the Court House until 28 December 1973, when it was moved to Dewan Pembangunan Tun Abdul Razak.
Council Negeri was renamed to the present day Dewan Undangan Negeri (DUN – State Legislative Assembly) in 1976. The old DUN building was built at the same time as Wisma Bapa Malaysia in 1973. It was officially declared open by Agong followed by the Ruler’s Conference in August 1976.
From the little wooden shack 142 years ago, we now have a 9-storey state-of-the-art building for our elected representatives to uphold our constitution.