Printing office in Batu Lintang goes up in smoke

May 1, 2010, Saturday

KUCHING: The first floor of Percetakan Nasional Malaysia Bhd (PNM) building near Wisma Saberkas in Batu Lintang went up in smoke around 9 o’clock last night.

Smoke from the building was seen by members of public from the building opposite the premises.

They were the ones who called the fire department.

The security guard Fadliee Abu Bakar, 21, said he realised the building was on fire after seeing firemen arriving at 9.30pm.

He said two employees left the place past 9pm and later on he checked on the building with a colleague but did not notice anything amiss.

“We did not notice anything until we saw two firemen’s vehicles stop in front of the building,” he said.

He suspected that the fire could have started from an electrical short circuit.

A source said the building was filled with pallets of paper for election purposes and a few machines.

The fire rapidly engulfed the first floor and was believed to have caused huge losses to the company.

The total loss is not immediately known.

Extracted from Borneo Post online